Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Much Ado about Nothing

As you have probably already deduced by yourself, my name is Sophie. I am a full time university student (can I stress the 'full time' of 'student'?). The creation of this blog, is part of the learning criteria of a course I am currently doing. Named, 'New Communication Technologies'. Oddly enough, the idea of creating and maintaining a blog weekly (involving some lecture content), actually interests me. Most likely because I am someone who actually likes to write and adding my own 10 cents worth about any issue is also appealing. Maybe this is due to my opinionated nature, who knows.

I should note that I am more of a creative writer (in the making), rather than someone who can be told what to write. I was taught how to write in a rather unconventional way. Growing up in the 'bush', meant that I didn't go to school until high-school. But rather I was home tutored, by my philosophical parents, among an array of wildlife. When I first learnt how to spell at age four, I asked my mother if I could write a book of my own. She was no doubt surprised, but agreed to help me with the spelling. Words seemed to me at the time, fun and almost magical. It is sad but true, that as a child I would get into trouble for reading with a flashlight under the covers, or writing silly little stories.


As the years progressed I continued to write, poetry, short stories and music. But I have never had them published. Possibly due to some deep felt self doubt on my part, when it comes to talent.


Strangely, It was about the time I was in year 12, that something peculiar happened. I felt a lack of motivation to write anything anymore (maybe this was due to having too many assignments). Metaphorically speaking, my creative inkwell seemed to have all but dried up. And I began to hope that I wasn't one of those people, that couldn't write without some kind of 'inspiration'.


Luckily, I found a tool that I believe has helped me to get my ideas flowing again. I began to keep both a personal diary and a blog, which are both quite similar in nature (although there are some issues which must be quaintly reserved for a personal diary). It has helped me a great deal in expressing myself once again and forming ideas, which is why I believe it will be a beneficial aspect of the course I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment